ARO-021: A Study for Combined Chemotherapy and Crenolanib in Newly Diagnosed AML
- This is a Phase III clinical trial of crenolanib in combination with induction chemotherapy in patients with newly diagnosed acute myeloid leukemia (AML) with mutations in the FLT3 gene.
- The study is open at multiple centers in the United States and will be open in multiple centers in Europe.
- This study aims to find out how safe and effective this treatment is, compared with Rydapt®, in this type of cancer.
For more information about the study, please contact a study site by visiting https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03258931
ARO-013: A Study for Combined Chemotherapy and Crenolanib in Relapsed/Refractory AML
- This is a Phase III clinical trial of crenolanib in combination with salvage chemotherapy in patients with relapsed/refractory acute myeloid leukemia (AML) with mutations in the FLT3 gene.
- The study is open at multiple centers in the United States and will be open in multiple centers in Europe and China.
- This study aims to find out how safe and effective this treatment is, compared with placebo, in this type of cancer.
For more information about the study, please contact a study site by visiting https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03250338
What is AML?
Acute myeloid leukemia (AML) is a highly proliferative form of cancer where the bone marrow makes abnormal myeloblasts (a type of white blood cell). AML is the most common form of leukemia in adults, and will progress quickly if left untreated.
One of the most common mutations in AML is in the gene FLT3 (Fms-like tyrosine kinase 3), occurring in approximately 37% of all AML patients. Multiple FLT3 mutations have been identified and are a poor prognostic marker in AML. Traditional chemotherapy is often less effective in treating cancer cells harboring FLT3 mutations. Adding a FLT3 inhibitor to standard chemotherapy has been shown to produce longer lasting benefits compared to chemotherapy alone.
THERE ARE SEVERAL ATTRIBUTES THAT SET CRENOLANIB APART FROM OTHER THERAPEUTIC OPTIONS
- Crenolanib, whether delivered by itself or as part of a drug combination, has shown benefit in FLT3 mutant AML.
- Patients who progress after treatment with prior TKIs may still remain sensitive to crenolanib.
- Crenolanib has favorable pharmacokinetics and does not accumulate with repeated dosing.
- Crenolanib is a selective type I TKI that does not inhibit wild-type cKIT.
Crenolanib in the News
- Arog Pharmaceuticals Presents Crenolanib Clinical Data at the 2017 American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting
- Arog Pharmaceuticals Presents Crenolanib Clinical Data at 57th American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting
- Arog Pharmaceuticals Receives Orphan Drug Designation in the European Union for Crenolanib for the Treatment of Acute Myeloid Leukemia and Soft Tissue Sarcoma
- AROG Pharmaceuticals to Present Clinical Data on Crenolanib at the 2016 American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting
- Arog Pharmaceuticals Receives FDA Fast Track Designation for Crenolanib for Advanced Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors with a D842V Mutation in the PDGFRA Gene
- Arog Pharmaceuticals Presents Crenolanib Clinical Data at the 2016 American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting
Recent Conference Presentations
- Collins R, Kantarjian HM, Levis MJ, et al. Clinical Activity Of Crenolanib In Patients With D835 Mutant FLT3-Positive Relapsed/Refractory Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML). J Clin Oncol 2014; 32:5s (suppl; abstr 7027).
- Collins, R., et al., Full Doses of Crenolanib, a Type I FLT3 Inhibitor, Can be Safely Administered in AML Patients Post Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant. Blood, 2015. 126(23): p. 4359-4359.
- Panetta, J.C., et al., Population Pharmacokinetics of Crenolanib, a Type I FLT3 Inhibitor, in Patients with Relapsed/Refractory AML. Blood, 2015. 126(23): p. 3695-3695.
- Zhang, H., et al., Exome Sequencing Informs Mechanisms of Clinical Resistance to the FLT3-D835 Inhibitor Crenolanib. Blood, 2015. 126(23): p. 2468-2468.
- Inaba, H., et al., Pilot Study of Combined Type I FLT3 Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor, Crenolanib with Sorafenib in Pediatric Patients with Relapsed/Refractory FLT3+Ve AML. Blood, 2016. 128(22): p. 3937-3937.
- Iyer, S.P., et al., Safety Study of Salvage Chemotherapy High-Dose Ara-C/Mitoxantrone (HAM) and Type I FLT3-TKI Crenolanib in First Relapsed/Primary Refractory AML. Blood, 2016. 128(22): p. 3983-3983.
- Ohanian, M., et al., Efficacy of a Type I FLT3 Inhibitor, Crenolanib, with Idarubicin and High-Dose Ara-C in Multiply Relapsed/Refractory FLT3+ AML. Blood, 2016. 128(22): p. 2744-2744.
- Wang, E.S., et al., Crenolanib, a Type I FLT3 TKI, Can be Safely Combined with Cytarabine and Anthracycline Induction Chemotherapy and Results in High Response Rates in Patients with Newly Diagnosed FLT3 Mutant Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML). Blood, 2016. 128(22): p. 1071-1071.
- Cortes JE, Kantarjian HM, Kadia TM, et al. Crenolanib Besylate, a Type I Pan-FLT3 Inhibitor, to Demonstrate Clinical Activity in Multiply Relapsed FLT3-ITD and D835 AML. J Clin Oncol 2016; 34 (suppl; abstr 7008).
- Stone RM, Collins R, Tallman MS, et al. Effect of Cytarabine/Anthracycline/Crenolanib Induction on Minimal Residual Disease (MRD) in Newly Diagnosed FLT3 Mutant AML. J Clin Oncol 2017; 35(15_suppl): 7016.
- Wang E, Stone R, Collins R, Agrawal T, Urity V, Tallman M. Variant FLT3 Mutations Can be Eridicated by Cytarabine/Anthracycline/Crenolanib Induction in Adult Patients with Newly Diagnosed FLT3 (ITD/TKD) Mutant AML. Haematologica; 2017; 2017. p. 212.
- Tarlock K, Hylkema T, Pollard J, et al. Functional Assessment of Novel Diagnostic FLT3 Mutations and Inhibition by Kinase Inhibitors. Haematologica; 2017; 2017. p. 40-1.
Recent Peer-reviewed Publications
- Zimmerman EI, Turner DC, Buaboonnam J, et al. Crenolanib is Active Against Models of Drug-Resistant FLT3-ITD-Positive Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Blood 2013; 122(22): 3607-15.
- Fathi AT. Emergence of Crenolanib for FLT3-Mutant AML. Blood 2013; 122(22): 3547-8.
- Smith CC, Lasater EA, Lin KC, et al. Crenolanib is a Selective Type I Pan-FLT3 Inhibitor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2014; 111(14): 5319-24.
- Zhang W, Gao C, Konopleva M, et al. Reversal of Acquired Drug Resistance in FLT3-Mutated Acute Myeloid Leukemia Cells via Distinct Drug Combination Strategies. Clin Cancer Res 2014; 20(9): 2363-74.
- Galanis A, Ma H, Rajkhowa T, et al. Crenolanib is a Potent Inhibitor of FLT3 with Activity Against Resistance-Conferring Point Mutants. Blood 2014; 123(1): 94-100.
- Smith CC, Lin K, Stecula A, Sali A, Shah NP. FLT3 D835 Mutations Confer Differential Resistance to Type II FLT3 Inhibitors. Leukemia 2015; 29(12): 2390-2.